Student Visa

Student Visa

Any student with this visa can easily apply for different full-time courses including Higher Education, Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS), admission in primary or secondary school and post graduate research degrees in a recognised education institution.

Visa Eligibility Criteria:
  • Enrollment in a registered course of study: Applicants need to enroll in a course of study, which is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).


  • Financial capacity: Applicants must have the legal evidence of their financial capacity that shows they are eligible to pay their course fees and living costs of their dependent family members.


  • English proficiency: It is mandatory to provide evidence of English language skills with the visa application or when asked by an officer otherwise the visa will be refused.


  • Closely controlled welfare arrangements for all the students under the age of 18: Students under 18 years of age should have evidence of organized welfare arrangements to stay in Australia.


  • Accompanying Family Members: Applicants and their family members can make a combined request in the student visa application or they can apply to join them later. It is essential to have the necessary funds on hand to support the accompanying family members living in Australia and also for those after the grant of the student visa (such as a new born baby).


  • Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement: This requirement serves as a reliability measure that the student visa program is used as projected and not for a temporary stay in Australia.


  • Health and character: Applicants need to undergo health examinations as a part of the visa application process. This may consume quite a few weeks to complete. Also, the applicants are required to answer some character related questions that will be used to assess their character.


  • Overseas student health cover: Applicants are required to obtain Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC) a week prior to the date they are supposed to arrive in Australia.


What you can do with this visa?
  • You can study full-time in a recognized institution in Australia.
  • You can bring your family members under limited circumstances
  • You and your family members will be given work rights depending on your course type.
  • Your partner (if found eligible) can also study in Australia for three months.

Planning To Study Abroad?

Our expert counselors are here to guide you to find the best educational experience and international exposure.

FAQs About Student Visa (Subclass 500)

The Student Visa (Subclass 500) is a type of visa that allows international students to come to Australia to undertake a full-time study course at an educational institution.

You can apply online through the Department of Home Affairs website. You’ll need to provide various documents, including proof of enrolment, financial capacity, and health insurance.

To be eligible, you must have a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from an Australian educational institution, meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement, and show evidence of sufficient funds to cover your stay.

The processing time can vary, but it generally takes around four weeks to four months. It’s advisable to apply well in advance of your course start date.

Yes, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight during the academic term and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.

As of my last update in September 2021, the visa application charge is AUD 620 for the main applicant. Additional charges may apply for family members.

Yes, you can include family members in your visa application, but you’ll need to show evidence of sufficient funds to support them during their stay.

Yes, you must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your stay in Australia.

Yes, you can apply for an extension before your current visa expires, provided you meet the eligibility criteria.

If your application is refused, you have the right to appeal the decision. You’ll receive information on how to appeal the refusal notice.

Yes, but you’ll need to inform the Department of Home Affairs and may need to apply for a new visa depending on the circumstances.

You must maintain satisfactory course progress, have sufficient funds, and adhere to the work limitations, among other conditions.

You can renew your OSHC online through your health insurance provider.

Yes, you can travel outside Australia, but you must return before your visa expires.

You should inform the Department of Home Affairs as soon as possible if there are any changes to your circumstances that could affect your visa status.

For the most accurate and up-to-date information, it’s best to consult the official Department of Home Affairs website. You can also seek advice from registered migration agents or Destination Education and Visa Service, a migration and educational consultant.

Course Categories

Quisque velit nisi, pretium ut lacinia in, elementum id enim. 

Connect with us