Student Guardian Visa (SUBCLASS 590)

Student Guardian Visa (SUBCLASS 590)

The new student guardian visa (subclass 590) is created for the legal custodian or relative to accompany the visa holders if they are under 18 years of age.

Key Requirements For The Student Guardian Visa Are

Fundamental Requirements:

The applicant for this visa needs to have a genuine intention to provide support and general welfare for the
international student. Moreover, the applicant should either be a parent, a person with custody of the student or a
relative over 21 years of age who has been nominated in writing by a parent. It is not allowed to bring family
member younger than 6 years of age except under certain conditions.


Financial Criteria:

It is required to provide evidence of funds to show that the applicant has enough money to pay for their living
expenses, education costs and expedition of the family member accompanying for the duration of the course, Also, the
person should not owe any money to the Australian government.


Health Insurance:

The applicants of Students guardians should also have to provide the evidence of enough health insurance for the
entire period of stay in Australia. It can be a health insurance product from Australia or the home country or Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC).


Legal Identity and Relationship Documents:

Students guardians should have identity documents readily available along with the proof of the relation with the


Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement:

In order to meet the terms of Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement, the department will consider your personal
conditions in your home country, your immigration history and everything related to your plan to stay in Australia.


Conditions Applicable once you are eligible for Visa:
  • You are not supposed to do work
  • You cannot study for more than three months.
  • You should maintain your approved overseas visitor health cover.
  • You are not allowed to apply for any other Australian Visa
  • Brother or sister
  • You must engage in Australia’s Obligations under the 1951 UN convention.
  • You cannot leave Australia without taking the nominating student with you and notifying the department that you have made appropriate arrangement for the student.

Visa Class

Student Visa

International students who are willing to study in Australia first need to apply for admission to an institution before applying….

FAQs About Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

The Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) allows individuals to come to Australia to provide care and support for students under 18 years of age. This visa is not for parents or guardians who intend to study in Australia.

Parents or legal guardians of international students who are under 18 can apply for this visa. In some cases, relatives who are over 21 years old can also apply.

You can apply for the Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) online through the Department of Home Affairs website. You’ll need to provide various documents, including identity proofs, financial documents, and health insurance.

The primary condition is to provide care and support to the student for whom you are a guardian. You are also not allowed to work in Australia on this visa.

No, the holder of a Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) is not permitted to work in Australia.

Common reasons include insufficient funds, failure to meet health and character requirements, or a lack of proof for a genuine temporary stay.

The Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) generally aligns with the student’s visa expiration date. However, it can also be influenced by other factors, like the course duration.

You can find more information on the official website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs or consult with a registered migration agent.

Yes, there are other visas like the Parent Visa (Subclass 103) or Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) that allow for a longer stay but have different conditions and requirements.

No, the Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) is a temporary visa and does not provide a pathway to permanent residency.

Course Categories

Quisque velit nisi, pretium ut lacinia in, elementum id enim. 

Connect with us