Contributory Parent visa (SUBCLASS 173 AND 143)

Contributory Parent visa (SUBCLASS 173 AND 143)

If a parent’s child is a qualified New Zealand citizen, an Australian citizen, or an Australian permanent resident, they may be able to live in Australia under the Contributory Parent visa (subclass 173 and 143). For a period of two years, the contributory parent 173 visa holder is permitted to reside in Australia as a temporary resident. This visa cannot be renewed or extended; however, if the applicant wants to remain in Australia permanently, they must apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) within two years of arriving on a 173 visa.

The applicants of both the visas must be sponsored by their child living in Australia. If the child is less than 18 years of age, applicants can be sponsored by:

  • A child’s spouse (who must be at least 18 years of age or more and a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen)
  • A relative or guardian of child
  • A relative or guardian of child’s spouse if the spouse has not turned 18 but is settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • A community organisation

Note: If a community organisation is sponsoring the applicant, the immigration department needs a valid proof of relationship between the organisation and applicant or a written agreement from the senior representative showing an approval to support applicant(s) after their arrival in Australia.


Benefits Of The Visa

Being a contributory parent 173 visa holder, you can

  • Live, study and work in Australia for 2 years
  • Get health coverage from Medicare (Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses)
  • Visit Australia frequently for two years from the date visa is granted

Being a contributory parent 143 visa holder, you can

  • Live, study or work in Australia for indefinite period
  • Get health coverage through Medicare
  • Apply for Australian citizenship after fulfilling the criteria
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Leave and revisit Australia for five years from the date visa


Eligibility Criteria

For Subclass 173

  • Your child is Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Your child has been living in Australia lawfully for at least 2 years
  • You have a sponsor
  • You meet the balance of family test
  • You meet health and character requirements

For Subclass 143

  • You must hold a Contribute Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173)
  • You must abide by all the criteria applicable to temporary contributory parent visa (subclass 173)


Relationship Evidence Requirements for Both Visas (Subclass 143 and 173)

You must have certified copies of

  • Birth certificates
  • A family book showing relationships
  • Marriage certificates (if the sponsor is partner of a child)
  • Evidence of guardianship (if the sponsor is guardian of a child)
  • Other acceptable evidence that shows relationship between the child and sponsor

If the sponsor is community organisation, there must be

  • Certificate of registration
  • Evidence of authority given to the representative of organisation to operate on behalf of organisation like the board or management committee’s authority
  • Evidence of financial capacity to support you when you arrive in Australia


Family Members in the Visa Application

You can include following members in the visa application

  • Your partner
  • Your or the partner’s child/step child


Health and Character Requirements

You and all the dependent family members must have

  • Medical examinations done within 12 months of lodging a visa application to meet health requirements
  • Police certificate from each country you’ve lived in for more than 12 months in the past ten years


Australian Values Statement

If you are more than 18 years of age, you must sign an Australian values statement to provide assurance that you’ll abide by all the Australian laws.


Debts to the Australian Government

You must have no or arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian government before the visa is granted.


Applying from 173 visa to 143 visa, the applications charges would be

How this price is calculated

CA143 Contributory parent – holds 1731325.00
Additional Applicant Charge 18+1165.00
GST 0.00
Total AUD 490.00


Applying directly for 143 visa, the applications charges would be

For information about payment option, go to How to pay

CA143 Contributory parent13,695.00
Additional Applicant Charge 18+11,245.00
GST 0.00
Total AUD 4,940.00

DISCLAIMER: The information provided here is only for general understanding and does not
constitute legal advice. We recommend consult a Registered Migration agent for further information or check with Department of Home Affairs at and .

Visa Class

Parent Visa

Parent visa belongs to a category of family visa. There are many Australian family visas and parent visa is one of them. On 2 June…

FAQs About Contributory Parent visa (Subclass 173 and Subclass 143)

The Contributory Parent Visa is a type of visa for parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens. It allows parents to live in Australia either temporarily (Subclass 173) or permanently (Subclass 143).

To apply for the Contributory Parent Visa within Australia, you need to submit an application to the Department of Home Affairs. This visa category is intended for parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens.

To be eligible, you must have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. You must fulfil age requirements, pass the balance of family tests, and meet health and character standards.

The Subclass 173 visa is a temporary option, granting a two-year stay in Australia, while the Subclass 143 visa is permanent, allowing you to live in Australia indefinitely. The 173 visa can lead to the 143 visa, and you can apply for permanent residency after holding the temporary visa.

Processing times can vary, but typically, the Subclass 173 visa takes around 24 to 32 months to process, and the Subclass 143 visa takes about 31 to 43 months. Keep in mind that these times are approximate and subject to change based on individual circumstances.

Yes, both Subclass 173 and Subclass 143 visa holders have work rights in Australia. The temporary Subclass 173 visa offers full work rights, and upon obtaining the Subclass 143 permanent visa, you gain unrestricted work rights as well.

Yes, you have the option to include your spouse or de facto partner in your visa application. They must meet health and character requirements and be included in your application at the time of submission.

Yes, all applicants, including dependent family members, must undergo health and character assessments as part of the visa application process. This involves medical examinations and obtaining police clearances.

While there isn’t a specific income threshold for the visa itself, you might need to provide an Assurance of Support (AoS) from your Australian-based child. This demonstrates that you won’t rely on social assistance.

In certain situations, you may be eligible to apply for this visa category while you’re in Australia. However, be aware that specific visa holders could have limitations on onshore applications.

Yes, you can certainly include your dependent children in your application. They must meet the criteria for dependent children as outlined by the Department of Home Affairs.

Course Categories

Quisque velit nisi, pretium ut lacinia in, elementum id enim. 

Connect with us