Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) (SUBCLASS 400)

Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) (SUBCLASS 400)

Participants in the short stay activity 400 are granted a temporary visa that permits them to live in Australia for a maximum of three months.


  • For a brief, highly specialized, and non-continuous job
  • Under certain conditions, in a project or activity related to Australia’s interests


When the application is submitted and the visa is approved, the applicant must be outside.

Benefits Of The Temporary Work Visa

  • You can stay in Australia for up to 3 months and extend your stay up to 6 months in certain circumstances. Your stay period begins on the day you first enter Australia.
  • You can bring eligible family members to Australia (**Family members are not allowed to work in Australia on 400 visa)
  • You can visit Australia frequently (if granted a multiple entry visa)


Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for this visa, you must:

  • Only participate in a work or activity that is highly specialised, short-term and not ongoing
  • Have traits or a relevant employment background for the work or activity you are participating
  • Have adequate financial support to support yourself and accompanying members for the duration of stay
  • Have provision of the organisation that invited you to work in Australia
  • Meet health and character requirements


Restrictions To Be Implements On Work & Activity

You must finish your work or activity within 6 six months or less

  • You must not have any intensions to stay in Australia once the visa gets expired
  • You must not undertake any training (including workplace based) or education course on this visa
  • You must not be working in the entertainment industry (i.e. you cannot perform as an entertainer or support a group of entertainers working in Australia. Neither you can direct or produce something with a purpose to broadcast or perform it in Australia. However, 400 visa does allow you to attend a red carpet premiere and promote a rock band in Australia with no performances.)
  • You must not change your designation throughout your stay on this visa


Financial Requirements

You must provide evidence of your financial capacity to support yourself and your family members for the duration of stay in Australia. This includes:

  • Employment Contract
  • Bank Statements/Letter from a financial institution
  • Accommodation and other allowances from the employer in Australia


Health & Character Requirements

You and all the family members included in the application must have:

  • Undergone medical examination within 12 months of lodging a visa to fulfil the health requirements
  • Police Certificates from each country lived for 12 months in the past 10 years (after you turned 16 years of age) to fulfil the character requirements


Health Insurance

Unless your home country has a reciprocal health agreement with Australia, you are required to be covered by the Australia’s national scheme (Medicare) to cover all your health costs for the duration of your visa.


Debts To The Australian Government

You must not have any or arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian government before the visa is granted.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided here is only for general understanding and does not constitute legal advice. We recommend consulting a Registered Migration agent for further information or check with Department of Home Affairs at: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/400-.

Visa Class

Temporary Activity Visa

The Temporary Activity Visa lets you carry out one of the following activities in Australia on a temporary basis.

FAQs About Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Subclass 400 Visa

The Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 400) is a type of visa that allows individuals to visit Australia for a temporary period to participate in specific activities, such as short-term work, cultural or sporting events, and other non-ongoing activities.

The Subclass 400 visa is available to individuals who are invited or required to participate in a specific short-term activity in Australia, such as skilled work, research, or an event, and meet the necessary health and character requirements.

The duration of your stay on a Subclass 400 visa depends on the purpose of your visit and the specific activities you will engage in. It can vary from a few days to a few months, as specified in your visa grant.

Generally, the Subclass 400 visa is granted for the duration required to complete the intended activity. Extensions are limited and granted only in exceptional circumstances.

Yes, you can work in Australia if the purpose of your visit requires you to undertake short-term, non-ongoing work. However, you cannot work for more than 6 months under this visa subclass.

To apply for a Subclass 400 visa, you need to submit an online application through the Australian immigration website. You will need to provide necessary documentation, including details about the activity, your passport, health insurance, and other supporting documents.

Processing times for the Subclass 400 visa can vary based on individual circumstances, the completeness of your application, and other factors. It’s recommended to apply well in advance of your intended travel dates.

Yes, health insurance is a mandatory requirement for all Subclass 400 visa holders. You must have adequate health insurance coverage for the duration of your stay in Australia.

Family members cannot be included in a Subclass 400 visa application. They will need to apply for their own appropriate visa if they wish to accompany you to Australia.

A limited study may be allowed if it is directly related to the purpose of your visit. However, if your main purpose is to study, you should consider applying for a different visa subclass designed for studying in Australia.

The cost starts from AUD 405 (except in limited circumstances). The cost of a Subclass 400 visa application varies depending on factors such as the purpose of your visit and your country of origin. It’s best to check the current visa application charges on the official Australian immigration website.

Yes, you can travel in and out of Australia multiple times on a Subclass 400 visa, as long as it is within the validity period of your visa.

There is no strict limit to the number of times you can apply for a Subclass 400 visa. However, it’s important to demonstrate genuine temporary-stay intentions each time you apply to avoid potential issues.

The Subclass 400 visa is a temporary visa and does not directly lead to permanent residency. If you are interested in pursuing permanent residency in Australia, you should explore other visa options that align with your long-term goals. Get in touch with us to know more about other visa options.

Course Categories

Quisque velit nisi, pretium ut lacinia in, elementum id enim. 

Connect with us