Training Visa (SUBCLASS 407)

Training Visa (SUBCLASS 407)

Willing to develop skills or abilities to improve your academic or professional career?

Want a practical approach to maximise the potential in your current occupation?

Australia is calling you!

Apply for the Training Visa (Subclass 407) and get an opportunity to be competent enough and workplace ready!

How Training Visa Helps?

A training visa allows you to visit Australia on a temporary basis and participate in an occupational training or professional development.

You can participate in either of the following types of occupational training under 407 visa

1. Workplace-based training to acquire registration or licensing: This training covers the people who require obtaining registration, membership or licensing to start an occupation in their home country or in Australia.

2. Structured Workplace-based training to improve skills: This training covers the people who are nominated by approved temporary activities sponsor in Australia for an occupation specified in the list of eligible skilled occupations but require undergoing structured workplace-based training to improve skills for that occupation.

3. Training that sharpens the skills or enhance competency: This type of training is divided into three categories:

  • Overseas Qualification:  This category belongs to the students who are enrolled in a foreign educational institution and in need of completing a period of practical training, research or observation to get their degree or qualification. Applying for training visa under this category provides an opportunity
  • Government Support:  This category belongs to the people who have the support of a government agency of their home country or Australia to get a structured workplace-based occupational training.
  • Professional Development:  This category belongs to the overseas employers who want their employees undergo a tailored professional development program for their organisation’s growth.

Note: On 19th April, 2017, the SOL (Skilled Occupation List) was replaced by the STSOL (Short Term Skilled Occupation List. Currently, there is no separate list for STSOL but a combined list of eligible skilled occupations. This list is due to be revised on July 1st , 2017 and will be updated every six months.

Benefits Of The Training Visa 407

The training visa allows you to

  • Apply for the visa both onshore and offshore
  • Live in Australia for up to 2 years and complete the training specified in your application
  • Leave and re-enter Australia frequently till the visa is valid
  • Bring eligible family members to accompany you in Australia


Eligibility Criteria for Visa Applicants, Sponsors & Nominators

To be eligible for this visa, applicants must

  • Be at least 18 years of age (unless you are exempt)
  • Be sponsored by an approved sponsor whether to participate in professional development program or occupational training
  • Be nominated for an approved occupation by the Australian organisation if it is not a Commonwealth agency.
  • Be invited to apply for the visa if the sponsor is a Commonwealth agency
  • Get occupational training directly by the sponsor unless any exemption applies
  • Lodge an application before 18 th May 2017 for existing sponsorship by an approved training and research and professional development sponsor
  • Only participate in the occupational training that meets the criteria for one of the nomination eligibility types
  • Be proficient in functional English to acquire training and meet occupational health and safety standards
  • Have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Have sufficient financial backup and arrangements for health insurance for yourself and accompanying family members for the duration of stay in Australia
  • Meet all other requirements specified for your training program

Those sponsoring someone on 407 visa must

  • Be either an organisation operating lawfully in Australia, a government agency or a foreign government agency
  • Provide the occupational training directly unless an exemption applies
  • Have no unfavourable information identified about you or any other person associated with you unless it is reasoned for the Immigration Department to ignore
  • Have the ability to comply with all the sponsorship obligations

To nominate someone on 407 visa

  • You must be an approved temporary activity sponsor or
  • You have lodged an application to become an approved temporary activity sponsor

The nomination will not be considered unless the sponsorship is approved.


If you applied and got the approval of becoming an approved training and research or professional development sponsor before 19 November 2016, you can use this approval to nominate an applicant on Training visa (subclass 407) until 18 th May 2017 or till the time the sponsorship is valid.

Family Members to Include in the Visa Application

You can include following family members in your visa application

  • Partner (Married or de facto)
  • Your or your partner’s dependent child (up to 23 years of age)

You must have an evidence to support a claimed family relationship. You must also have a written statement including an approval from your sponsor to sponsor your family members.


Financial Requirements

You must provide evidence of your financial capacity to support yourself and accompanying family members for the duration of stay in Australia.


Health & Character Requirements

You and all the dependent family members are required to

  • Undergo medical examinations within 12 months of lodging a visa application
  • Obtain police clearance from each country (you and family members) have lived in for 12 months or more in the past 10 years


Health Insurance

You and dependent family members are required to be covered by the Australia’s national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a reciprocal health agreement in Australia.

The health insurer can either be in Australia or your home


Debts to the Australian Government

You must be free from any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before the visa is granted.

Visa Class

Employer Sponsored Visa

The employer-sponsored visa allows Australian employers to sponsor specific skilled labour to serve their business needs…

FAQs About Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 457)

The Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 457) is a visa that allows skilled workers from overseas to work in Australia for an approved employer for up to four years.

To qualify for the Subclass 457 visa, you must have a job offer from an approved Australian employer who is willing to sponsor you. You must also meet the relevant skill and English language requirements.

Yes, you can include your spouse or de facto partner, as well as dependent children, on your Subclass 457 visa application.

The Subclass 457 visa can be granted for up to four years, depending on the duration of your employment contract with the sponsoring employer.

Yes, you can change employers while on a Subclass 457 visa. However, your new employer must be an approved sponsor, and you may need to lodge a new nomination and visa application.

Yes, you can study in Australia on a Subclass 457 visa, but the main purpose of your stay should be to work.

There is no specific maximum age limit to apply for the Subclass 457 visa. However, applicants over the age of 45 might face certain limitations in obtaining permanent residency.

If your family members were not included in your initial visa application, they can still apply for a Subclass 457 Dependent visa to join you in Australia.

Yes, under the Temporary Residence Transition stream, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency through the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) after working for your employer for at least two years on a Subclass 457 visa.

Yes, there is a minimum salary requirement to apply for the Subclass 457 visa. The sponsoring employer must offer you a salary that meets the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT).

No, the Subclass 457 visa does not provide provisions for bringing parents to Australia. Only spouses, de facto partners, and dependent children can be included on your visa application.

Processing times for the Subclass 457 visa can vary depending on individual circumstances and the workload of the Department of Home Affairs. It’s best to check the current processing times on their website.

Yes, you can apply for the Subclass 457 visa from within Australia if you hold a valid substantive visa or a Bridging A, B, or C visa.

Yes, you can apply to extend your Subclass 457 visa if your employer renews your employment contract and you continue to meet the visa requirements.

Yes, all applicants for the Subclass 457 visa are required to undergo a health examination as part of the visa application process.

Course Categories

Quisque velit nisi, pretium ut lacinia in, elementum id enim. 

Connect with us